16 June 2011

From Melbourne to Maastricht - Patrick Hannan talks about living and studying in the Netherlands



Patrick Hannan, a 21 year-old Bachelor of Legal Studies student from LaTrobe University, participated in AIM Overseas’ International Relations in the European Union program in the Netherlands. Patrick talks about his first trip abroad:


Hi Patrick! Tell me about why you decided to apply for this program?
I applied because I fitted the criteria for being eligible and it looked great as I could take this program as an elective and take off a second year subject. I liked the idea of being able to travel to Europe and study whilst I was there.

Was this the first time you’d travelled internationally?
Yeah. I’d never travelled outside of Australia before and hadn’t planned on doing so prior to finding out about this program. I’m not a fan of long flights – that’s the main reason why I never really considered going as far away as Europe or the US. I had friends who’d done long-terms exchanges overseas and it sounded amazing, but I had thought I might as well stay in Australia and think about travelling afterwards, if at all.

Did doing this program change the way you view things?
Yeah, absolutely! I’m completely open to travelling more and can’t wait to go again whenever the chance arises. My fear of flying, or what I thought was a fear of flying, is pretty much gone. I ended up being in Europe for two months in total and I can’t see why I was fearful in the first place.

Tell me about a typical day in Maastricht during your program.
Usually we got up early and we had class from 8.30 until about 1 o’clock. Early on in the program, a couple of others and I invested in bikes because it seemed like the most popular thing to do in the Netherlands. Typically, we’d wait until everyone else had left because it was about a 15 to 20 minute walk to class from the place we were staying, and we’d try to race down and beat everyone else – which some times happened, and sometimes not!

After class we’d usually be free to do what we pleased – we rode around, explored and found stuff to eat. We also did some really cool activities organised by the uni such as exploring these ancient tunnels outside of Maastricht – the “St. Petersburg Tunnels,” I think they’re called. It was really spectacular to see the history and culture in Europe and to see streets that hadn’t changed in hundreds of years. Coming from Melbourne, where most areas are quite new comparison, this was pretty remarkable.

Our short study trips to Brussels and Belgium and Amsterdam and the Hague were another really awesome aspect to the program.

Tell me what was the highlight of the trip for you?
Umm… I can’t pick out one specific highlight but the combination of studying this course and being with a really great bunch of people was great. We were from all different parts of Australia and we all got along really well. I also liked the climate – it’s quite odd, I know, but I like the winter. The overall experience of learning how to live in a new culture all added up to a really beneficial experience.

What did you enjoy learning about as part of the course?
We learnt about how the EU has developed their different pillars – like the European Commission and the European Parliament and the High Court of Justice. Learning this was very exciting because, coming from Australia, we’re just one nation; we’re part of Oceania but we don’t have the same access as countries within the EU do. Learning about the laws and the free movement of people between the different countries within the EU really opened my eyes to the benefits of being part of a supranational economy, unlike Australia.

The in-class discussions were also great; everyone in the class was really engaged. Even outside of class, we had some really great political discussions.

Our lecturer was very thorough in the way he lectured which helped me learn some pretty hard economic concepts, as I didn’t have any background in economics at all.

Do you have any funny travel stories you’d like to share?
The night we spent in Den Haag, a majority of the group of us, maybe 16 or so, went out to look for a place to eat. Anyhow I came across an Italian restaurant, and we went in to enquire on prices. The little old owner spoke rough English and was completely delighted with me bringing him in 16 or so customers after we decided to go in. We were given a couple of tables upstairs, and the owner kept coming back and forth quite excitedly seeing if our needs were being met. At one stage he (I thought) offered me a beer for free which I started to drink but then realised he wanted it back, haha. Anyway he then came back up and started singing in front of us with a microphone in Italian, to all of our surprise, with an accompanying backing track. Then one of the girls in our group said to him that it was someone in our groups birthday (Patryk's, however it wasn't at all) which then led to him getting so excited he went and got an impromptu birthday cake with a sparkler stuck into an orange, turned the lights down, lit the sparkler and sang an impassioned happy birthday to him in Italian... putting us all in hysterics!

Do you have any tips for future students thinking about doing this course?
In terms of travel, definitely plan well ahead. I mean, the program itself is very well-structured and the coordinators are very helpful. But I didn’t plan things well and ended up arriving a day early and leaving a day late. But it you pay attention in the pre-departure session with AIM Overseas, which I found really helpful, then it’s fine. Even for me, as a first time traveller, I didn’t have any problems with not bringing the right thing or anything like that – which is better than how I usually am in Australia!

AIM Overseas were really helpful before we left; I was especially impressed that they came to Melbourne and there was a bit of run-down on how things were going to go.

What would you say to somebody who’s thinking of doing the program?
Coming from my experience, if you’ve got no plans on going overseas and you’re slightly curious, then definitely look into any of AIM Overseas’ programs because there’s something covering most academic backgrounds.

Or even if you’re thinking of doing long-term study overseas, then I think one of these programs are a great way to get a taste of what five or six months would be like, which is the insight that I got. I decided after I finished that I wouldn’t have been able to do six months, but for one month it’s great! You get a taste of everything – living day-to-day, learning a new culture and getting outside your comfort zone. And in the space of a month you can knock off an elective in your degree. So I think if you’re considering doing it don’t think twice. If you don’t know anything about short-term programs then you should look into it because it’s quite easy to do if you commit yourself.

Thanks for speaking with us Patrick!


Patrick and the AIM Overseasers on a group excursion


Just one of the many historic buildings and monuments one is able to stumble upon when travelling in Europe


Patrick and friends enjoying dinner and drinks after a long day of sightseeing... what a tough life!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP