31 July 2010

And off to Oxford I go...

by Natalie Ilott, Edith Cowan University

Friday 30 July 9pm

It's the night before the morning I fly out and as usual I have left my packing to the last minute!! Luckily for me I have my sister, an experienced backpacker, on hand to help keep my luggage to the bare minimum. The last couple of weeks have been so hectic that I haven't had a chance to really think about my upcoming trip, but as I roll up my clothes and fit them jigsaw-like in my suitcase I can feel my excitement growing. I feel like one of our students before they head off on their overseas study adventures.

So where am I going? Well I have been fortunate enough to secure a place on the
University of Oxford Summer Program through the AIM Overseas competition run last year for university staff across Australia. It was one of those competitions that you enter thinking 'wouldn't that be great to win' but never expect to stand a chance. As I sit on my suitcase and finally zip it up I can't believe that I am going to study at Oxford, somebody pinch me!!

To say that I am a little nervous would be an understatement, it's Oxford after all! But my anticipation is definitely starting to outweigh my nerves. I have chosen the
Oxford International Politics Summer Program focusing on Democratisation in Africa, which will run for two weeks. It's been a couple of years since I graduated so let's just say that it has taken more than a little motivational effort to get back into 'student' mode :) I have already received a detailed reading list from the university, which I am slowly making my way through. The program will involve a combination of lectures, seminars and group discussions, along with time for private study and hopefully some 'extracurricular' activities :) I will be staying in St Anthony's College, the most international of Oxford's graduate colleges, so the prospect of meeting a range of other international students is hugely appealing, as is, of course, being part of such a prestigious and historic tradition that is the University of Oxford.

So I am packed and ready to go, I have my passport, tickets and high hopes for the two weeks that lay ahead. As I finally crawl into bed at 11pm I cringe at the thought of getting up in five hours, but as I remember where I will be in just over 24, sleep is the last thing on my mind...

 

Natalie Ilott is the Study Abroad/Exchange Officer from Edith Cowan University. She travels to the University of Oxford summer school courtesy of the University of Oxford, AirAsiaX and AIM Overseas

 Read Natalie's other posts about her Oxford experience:

Welcome to Oxford
I survived the first week at Oxford

The last day in Oxford

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP