04 August 2010

Welcome to Oxford...

by Natalie Ilott, Edith Cowan University


Sunday 1st August


After a very seamless 21 hours of travelling I eventually arrive in London, largely well rested thanks to the comfort of the new flatbeds on AirAsiaX, how will I fly Economy again?! The train ride to Oxford is also rather uneventful, a bit of last minute reading and some silent prayers to the weather gods in hope that the English sun will make at least some appearance in the next two weeks. And then I find myself standing (expectantly) in front of the arched wooden door that is the entrance to St Anthony’s College. This is it…

After the administration side of my arrival is complete I am left to move into my room, located on the third floor of an old building. As I drag my belongings up the three flights of stairs I quietly thank my sister for not allowing me to bring the bigger suitcase I wanted! My room is huge with a view overlooking the narrow lane outside, and as I unpack my clothes and textbooks I start to think that it may not be so difficult to find my student roots again.


After a quick power nap I am able to meet and mingle with the professor and other students in my program at the orientation session and welcome dinner, we turn out to be an eclectic bunch of cultures and backgrounds, which should make for some interesting discussions in our African Politics seminars. If first impressions are anything to go by I think I am definitely in for a very inspiring two weeks.

It’s not long though before jetlag starts to set in and I am falling asleep to the sound of the bell tower across the road chiming out the ninth hour. Welcome to Oxford….


Natalie Ilott is the Study Abroad/Exchange Officer from Edith Cowan University. She travels to the University of Oxford summer school courtesy of the University of Oxford, AirAsiaX and AIM Overseas

 Read Natalie's other posts about her Oxford experience:

And off to Oxford I go
I survived the first week at Oxford

The last day in Oxford
Lessons from Oxford

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP