11 February 2012

Not a goodbye, but a see you later Mexico!

I’m currently sitting in Los Angeles International Airport, waiting for my flight tonight back to Melbourne, Australia. It marks the end of the Public Healthcare in Mexico program for the January students. It is bittersweet; going home to see family & friends that I have dearly missed, however leaving a group of people whose lives changed with me. Whenever I used to hear “Oh it changed my life!” I doubt I ever understood this term, given I had never had the experience. However, now it is a term I use with the realization that my life really HAS changed.. for the better!


The Public Healthcare in Mexico Program has given me knowledge that I’ll be forever grateful for.
Firstly, the people in Mexico who make all this happen!

Margo: We often referred to Margo as our “Mexican God-Mother”. She looked out for us, made dreams come true & always kept us safe!

Tegan Monttinen receiving here Public Healthcare in Mexico diploma with Margo!

Ana Cristina (a.k.a AC!): What can I say, AC is a legend! Our group really took to AC from the start, her kindness, warm-heart & non-judgemental character really makes you feel relaxed & comfortable. Her lectures are brilliant & there is never a dull moment with AC. We were also fortunate enough to meet her husband, Louis. Both are absolute joys & many tears were shed saying goodbye!

Myself with Ana Cristina:

Willie & Alnaldo: Willie took us on many site visits & made incredibly funny jokes! He can make the dullest moments funny! Alnaldo, without him the cultural visits would not have been the same! The amount of knowledge & intelligence that this man holds is incredible, a true genius!

Alnaldo giving us a piece of history!

With every fibre within me, I am so grateful to have been able to have been able to have travelled to Mexico & experienced the culture, the knowledge, lifestyle & healthcare. I’ll never forget the people who were apart of this with me.

The January 2012 Public Healthcare in Mexico group at the top of the Pyramid of the Sun!

See you Mexico!

Kahlia Hickey is participating in our January 2012 Public Health in Mexico Program at La Salle University, Mexico. Kahlia is going into her 2nd year of a Bachelor of Nursing degree at Victoria University.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP