30 July 2012

Oxford Creative Writing: English tea and winding paths

I’m in London and the sun is shining.

Wait – no it’s gone again.

Since arriving here a few days ago I’ve taken a while simply to soak in the atmosphere of the place. The beautiful, old brick houses with their iconic chimneys. The classic double-decker red buses. The interchangeably rainy weather.

And the tea. The cliché doesn’t prepare you enough for the truth. The English really, really like their tea. I think I’ve drunk more tea in these three days than I have for the entire year.

I told my English friend my thoughts and she responded with a very puzzled – “But…if someone comes over to your house what do you do?”

Fair enough.

I’m staying next to this beautifully sprawling cemetery called Abney Park. Paths wind sneakily through verdant greenery, between which gravestones dot the ground in all shapes and sizes. It has been so long since I’ve seen a nettle that I’m actually happy to find them growing in such wild abundance.

Sculptures such as this magnificent lion statue can be stumbled across along many of the narrow paths.

 In the centre (if you can find it) rears this awe-inspiring ruined church. Any place you can find a church older than your own country is a pretty amazing location. 



Damon Meredith is completing AIM Overseas' Oxford Creative Writing Program this July 2012. Damon is currently in his second year of a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) at University of Technology Sydney.



  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP