13 December 2011

Annie's Oxford Adventures - Annie Caligari talks about studying Human Rights Law at Oxford


Annie and friends punting on the Thames

Annie Caligari, currently completing a Law/Commerce degree at the University of Canberra, travelled all the way to the University of Oxford earlier this year to study the prestigious Oxford International Human Rights Law program. Annie talks about what it was like studying under some of the world's leading thinkers at the oldest English-speaking university in the world. Read on to find out more...


Hi Annie! Could you please introduce yourself?

Hi! I am just finishing my third year of a five year double degree. I am studying a Bachelor of Law/Commerce (International Business) at the University of Canberra.

Why did you choose to study the Oxford International Human Rights Law program?
Ever since my first lecture at university when an AIM Overseas rep came and spoke to us about all of these amazing opportunities, I knew that before I would graduate I would be one of those students.

As for International Human Rights Law at Oxford University – honestly, when I saw this I was simply blown away. To be giving the opportunity to study at the second oldest university in the world and the oldest in the English-speaking world was amazing in itself, but also to study a subject that I was so interested in was definitely the icing on the cake. I was off to be a real life Law Student at Oxford University!

Did you have any fears or concerns before doing the program?
The only fear I had before doing the program as “will I be able to KEEP UP?” This was Oxford and I would be studying Law with much older students; furthermore, many countries don’t offer Law as an undergraduate degree and I was 19 when I flew over (had my 20th Birthday while away). I also knew of a few other Aussies who were going over and they were all in their fifth and final year of study, whereas I had only done 2 years, so it was very daunting at the beginning.

However, once I arrived and met everyone, it didn’t feel so scary anymore – plus I began to look at it as if I was the lucky one to be surrounded by the most amazing professors and students who were all wildly passionate about Human Rights Law. I never thought I would be able to learn so much in only 4 short weeks!


Annie and friends posing under the Bridge of Sighs

Tell me about a typical day at Oxford.
First of all, let me just say I am a big Harry Potter fan. Every single day at Oxford I woke up and walked over to the dinner hall that was the ‘substitute’ dinner hall from the Harry Potter films (Christchurch was the main one but New College was only slightly smaller so when film crew couldn’t access Christchurch they used my College dining hall) and it was exactly like being in the movie - minus the moving pictures on the wall and floating candles. We even had the four rows of house tables and a head table at the end; I usually ate breakfast on the Slytherin table and Lunch on the Gryffindor table.

Every day was jam packed with classes, and by 3pm we were all ready for a mental break so we’d ride our ‘second-hand’ old English bikes down to high street and have a spot of tea before heading back to college to get our reading done for another day. We made time for the occasional pub drink before bed and in summer the sun was out until about 10pm so it never felt that late.

Friday nights consisted of the Formal Dinner in the Grand Hall and always a big night to follow. Weekends were full of pub crawls and picnics in the meadows. Riding though town and lunch at Jamie Oliver’s (delicious!).

What was the highlight of the program for you? Honestly, I would be doing an injustice to the experience if I could pinpoint one exact highlight. Every single thing about it was amazing. From punting on the Thames, bonfire nights even watching the Shakespearean ‘A Comedy of Errors’ in Wadham College Courtyard at twilight – I can truly say I would not trade my time in Oxford for the world. I have made so many amazing friends from all around the world and met some of the most interesting professors that were heavily involved in the Human Rights stratosphere, one of my professors was even on the CEDAW committee (discrimination against women), and you can definitely guess what that class focused on.


Jousting Tournament at Blenheim Palace

Do you have any funny travel stories you’d like to share?
On my last weekend in Oxford, I rode my bike on a sunny Sunday morning down to the train station and got on a bus out to Blenheim Palace, where there was a Jousting Tournament on. It was the only travel and sightseeing I did on my own for the entire time I was in Oxford so I was a nice relaxing day away.

Surprisingly, the tournament was full of English families and hardly any tourists – lots of little kids all dressed up in their jousting uniforms. I went over to the Archery Tent before the tournament began and lined up to have a go at the long bow.

When my turn came around I was too proud to ask for help and took my first shot at the bullseye. Needless to say, I didn’t even make the board and I had a biggest bruise on my arm from holding it incorrectly. What made it worse was that the little boy next to me was constantly getting right outside the bulls-eye!

No one laughed at my complete lack of skill and the gentlemen running the show came over to me and asked if I wanted some help. This time I had no option but to accept. He showed me the correct way of holding the long bow and I took another shot – this time hitting the edge of the board – better! Then I took another shot once he’d walked off to help another young boy and I hit the BULLSEYE!!!

I was so excited it took me a minute to realise everyone around me was laughing… they had been watching the whole time and thought it was hilarious that I’d gone from not even being able to hold the long bow properly to hitting the bulls-eye. The bruise was definitely worth it!


Riding to afternoon tea after class (so English - we love it!)

Do you have some tips for someone who's going on this course?
Be prepared – I was shocked when I saw the amount of textbooks I had to collect upon arrival – and this is coming from a law student!
Be friendly – Don’t be scared to meet new people. Just put on a happy face and people will be drawn to you. One of my friends was very quiet and it took a while to get to know her but once we did she was a lot of fun to be around. So just ignore your shy side and have fun!
The Kings Arms – best pub in Oxford (and trust me, we’d had our fair share by the end).
Research – Google the place you’re going to by studying at and make a list of the key things that you want to do! Because you don’t get that much free time, so you definitely need to take advantage of every opportunity when if comes your way.

How has this program impacted you?
It has made me grow as a person from all the new and amazing experiences and new friends I made while at Oxford University. Plus, it’s something that is special to me because I know that deep down it makes me stand out amongst the crowd. That is definitely a professional benefit as well, it looks great on a resume and it gives you a talking point in interviews – I mean, who doesn’t want to hear about life as a student at Oxford University?!

What would you say to somebody who’s thinking of doing the program?
Don’t even think twice! It is a priceless experience that every university student should have. Start booking now – what are you waiting for!?

Thanks Annie, sounds like you had an amazing time!

Picnic in the college gardens

This program runs every year in the July uni holidays. To find out more about this program or to apply, please go to our website: www.aimoverseas.com.au or email us on info@aimoverseas.com.au

Join us on Facebook for more photos, travel tips and updates: www.facebook.com/aimoverseas

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP