16 December 2011

"You won't regret what you did, but what you didn't do!" - Karandeep Narula on why you should study overseas


Karandeep Narula [pictured above, in Paris], an international student who has grown up in India and Thailand, is currently pursuing his penultimate year of studies in a Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Canberra. In July this year, Karandeep participated in our
European Management and Marketing program held in the beautiful city of Tours, France. The experience has had a profound impact on Karandeep and he's got some great advice on why you should study overseas (as well as a hilarious story on how Karandeep's attempts at the notoriously difficult French language led him to accidentally hit on a supermarket cashier). Read on to find out more...

Why did you choose AIM Overseas'
European Management and Marketing program?
Was it just fate or destiny?

I saw the AIM Overseas info session advertisement on the University of Canberra's Moodle account and it caught my eyes as, at the time, I had been thinking about doing an exchange program. I noted down the day and time of the info session but somehow it just slipped from my mind.

Then one day, after I had finished tutoring a class, a girl walked into the classroom and asked me, “AIM Overseas??” and I said “Nope! We just finished a business stats class”. I then started having a conversation with her and found out that there were actually two AIM Overseas information sessions running on that particular day. Once I came to know that another session was about to begin, I thought to myself that maybe I should take a seat.

I then received a piece of paper with a list of programs, and the European Management and Marketing program in France caught my attention because advertising and business studies have always been my forte. I also felt that this trip would add to my exposure in terms of making me open up and learn and experience other cultures and traditions. I have always wanted to study and travel at the same time and through AIM Overseas I was able to do that. Moreover, the course would add to my personal and professional growth.

Did you have any fears or concerns before doing the program?
Oh yes! I faced so many problems preparing to go overseas that at one point I thought that I wouldn't even be able to go, but Jooliet from AIM Overseas made sure my documentation was in order.

Another fear I started to have was that I would be travelling all alone to Europe and didn’t even know their language. It’s not like I haven't travelled alone before but this was that first time I had organised everything, whereas in the past my parents had organised everything for me. My trip to Australia was arranged by my parents for me but France has been my independent effort.

Tell me about a typical day at ESCEM
Every day was a different day! Why wouldn’t it be when you're in Europe?

We’d wake up in the morning and receive croissants, a baguette, butter, cheese and fruits etc. for breakfast. We then had to catch a bus which I would usually end up running for as I would (most of the time) be late I had not woken up in time, even after several of my friends had tried knocking on my door for ages. This is how we would head off to ESCEM for classes which started at 9:30 or 10:00am.


Karandeep and fellow AIM Overseas participants take a happy snap during their Welcome Dinner

The class would continue until 12:30pm and then lunch would be served at the school. During the lunch break, we were free to do what we wanted; some of us went to the markets next to the ESCEM while others usually hung out in the student commons playing pool, Foosball or the Ps3. After lunch, classes resumed until 5 pm after which we were free to do anything we wanted. Some days we had cooking or French language classes after 5pm.

What was the highlight of the program for you?
Those chilli shots!! All of us decided to go to the square (La Plamerau) to celebrate our last day at Tours. We rocked up at a bar where all the French students in our class hung out and we just started ordering vodka and tequila shots as they were only 2 EUROS!

We kept on having shots until the bartender made chilli vodka shots for all of us. Everyone turned red with smoke blowing out of their ears and tears streaming down their faces!! Everyone asked for water but the bartender never gave it to us!


The infamous chilli shots (we can't believe you guys actually drank that!!)

In terms of the course, I feel that the organisation and fluidity of the experience was the highlight. It never felt like a classroom environment because the basis of the course was practical and hands-on. Being part of this creative environment, I came to appreciate business and advertising in a different light. I am pretty sure that the course introduced me to advertising and business information which I would have never gotten to learn.

Do you gain any interesting insights on French people and culture?
Well, it was very strange to see how French people separated their professional lives from their personal lives. Every single day, once work hours were over, you would see them enjoying their lives to the max. They would call up all their friends, grab some snacks, cheese and a bottle of wine and just sit underneath the Eiffel tower for hours till midnight. Wherever you went, the city would be up until 2 or 3am in the morning. Even students went out a lot; they would study during the school hours, get back home to read their notes for an hour or two, grab dinner then head out to hang out with their friends in bars and clubs. If felt as if they were celebrating every day!

Before heading to France, a couple of my friends had told me that French people were very rude and they didn't speak English well and that I'd have to speak to them in French otherwise they wouldn't respond. I found this to be completely wrong! French people were very helpful and if you did show that you were trying to speak their language, they would start having a conversation with you - in English!


Saint Gatien's Cathedral, which Karandeep visited on one of the program-organised cultural trips

Did you have any funny 'lost in translation' moments?

Yes! I do remember one… Once at the supermarket, my friends and I said to the lady at the cashier, “Merci beau cul,” and she smiled. Later, one of our French friends told us that instead of saying "Merci beaucoup," which means "Thank you very much," we had said "Thank you nice a**!" We couldn’t stop laughing.

Do you have some tips for someone who's going on this course?
• Go 2 weeks before your course starts or stay 2 weeks more after your course so you can take the opportunity to travel to other European countries. I arrived in France on the day of the course and had 2 extra weeks after the course during which I explored France, Spain, Amsterdam, Netherlands.


Karandeep in front of the impressive Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain

Make sure you do all the readings required of you before attending class. Prepare all the notes during the class and review them once before you head out and party.
The bar right beside La Loire River is the best place to chill and hang out as they have got different music being performed everyday such as rock, tap dance etc. If this is not your thing, then head off to La Plamerau which we called “The Square”.
Pack light and shop more because once you are in Europe, you will definitely turn into a shopaholic because of the fashionable clothes and the massive sale prices.


La Plamerau [“The Square”]

How has this program impacted you?
This program has made me more mature and confident and I have started seeing things in a different and positive way. This experience has made me more practical, so much so that even those around me have noticed it. In terms of the impact this has made on my professional life, it will surely be the highlight of my resume when I start applying for jobs and will be able to share my experience during the interview.

The major impacts I have felt have been from interacting with people from another culture, seeing some of the overseas destinations that some may never see first-hand and learning a new language, French, which is one of the most popular languages after English.

What would you say to somebody who’s thinking of doing the program?
I have no regrets because I got exactly what I wanted: a program which was a fun learning experience. You get to travel to France and other European countries as well. So don’t think! You are just wasting your time! It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity and when opportunity knocks on your door, just grab it because you won't regret what you did, but what you didn't do. I am sure that given the chance no one would pass on this course. The trip alone is worth it!

I thought way too much about whether or not I should go, even after getting accepted for the program; but my dad pushed me and said, “You should go! It’s an experience you will never forget which no one can take away from you!” I am now passing on this advice to you, because by doing an overseas study program, you will study, travel, learn about a new culture and see yourself becoming more mature and confident.

Great advice! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us Karandeep - merci beaucoup! ;)



This program runs every year in the July uni holidays. To find out more about this program or to apply, please go to our website: www.aimoverseas.com.au or email us on info@aimoverseas.com.au

Join us on Facebook for more photos, travel tips and updates: www.facebook.com/aimoverseas

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP