13 December 2011

La vida española - Melissa Gillies gives us the low-down on studying Spanish in Spain



Melissa Gillies [pictured above, at one of Madrid's biggest street parties], a recent International Studies graduate from the University of Canberra, reflects on her time abroad living and studying amongst the Spanish on our Intensive Spanish course in Alcalá, Spain. Read on to find out more...

Hola Melissa! Why did you choose our Intensive Spanish in Spain program?

I really wanted to improve my Spanish and immersion’s the best way to achieve this. The program at Alcalá ticked all the boxes: an intensive language and cultural program with a homestay option in a centuries-old heritage listed town that lies 30 minutes from Madrid. It’s an ideal place to study Spanish!

I had been studying Spanish for two years at university and had done some travel in Spanish speaking countries but found that I still lacked the confidence to maintain day-to-day chit-chat with locals and my grammar wasn’t up to scratch. I jumped at the chance to study abroad over the winter here in Canberra so I could enjoy the summer program in Alcalá and improve my Spanish!


The streets of Malasana, Madrid

Did you have any fears or concerns before doing the program?
None whatsoever... apart from concerns about not wanting to come home after the course!

Tell me about a typical day at Alcalá
For me, a typical day at Alcalá in a nutshell:

- 8am: breakfast and the daily news with my host family
- 9-11am: grammar class: the toughest of the classes but at least it’s over first up!
- 11-11:30am: snack and coffee with fellow students at the local cafe behind the uni – we got to know the owner and his family because we had tortilla de patatas and coffee there every day we had class! The tortilla de patatas is legendary.
- 11:30am-1:30pm: language/conversation class: an interactive class where you discuss pretty much everything and anything – it was in this class that I learnt the most about Spanish culture, history and life outside of my homestay.
- 1:45-2:45pm: culture classes such as art, film and Spanish history: a fun class where we learnt Spanish slang and more specific things about Spanish culture and so on.
- 3-4pm: lunch with my host family – my host mum cooked the most amazing meals – I was there for a month and only ate the same meal twice in that time. She had an endless list of recipes and multi-course meals. Incredible!
- **4-6pm: siesta – whether it’s watching the TV, reading in bed or taking a nap, at least an hour long siesta is required.
- 6-8pm: study session time
- 8-9pm: internet catch-up/study/chilling out with host family
- 10pm: Tapas and drinks around Alcalá (or Madrid)
- 11pm: Dinner in Alcalá (or Madrid)
- 12:30am: Dancing, more tapas or live music........ the clubs/discotecas are open til the sun comes up!

**A variation to the typical afternoon above was going into Madrid after lunch and skipping siesta to check out its world class galleries and museums, to shop around town, to sample Madrid’s amazing food options - tapas in Lavapiés is a must, or to just paseo around town.


View from Alcalingua (language institute at the Universidad de Alcalá where Melissa's classes were held) towards Plaza de Cervantes

What was the highlight of the program for you?
The homestay option was fabulous – I clicked with my host family and I learnt so much from my host mum about the language, culture, food and history – all things that I adore. Living with a Spanish family gives you insight into la vida española and the Spanish outlook on life (in particular family, religion, politics and their concept of time!).

The intensive course was also a highlight – I learnt so much it was overwhelming. Another highlight was the opportunity to travel every weekend, I was able to explore different corners of the country from Madrid to Barcelona to San Sebastián to Valencia.

What was it like living with a host family?
The best of the best. I would recommend to anyone taking the course to select the homestay option. Not only do you get to experience life as a local but you are often situated much closer to the university campus, as the residences are a 40 min bus ride away.


Plaza de Cervantes (main square in Alcalá)

Do you have any quirky facts about Spanish culture?
Spaniards don’t eat dinner til at least 11pm, don’t use the polite/formal/textbook Spanish that we learn in class in Australia and are so generous and welcoming. One of the funniest things I experienced was while I was shopping I had asked to try something on politely (using textbook/formal Spanish, something like may/could I try this on) and the shop assistant said "I know exactly what you mean but you want to try on that dress so just say so! Stop with the niceties, we don’t do that here!" It was really funny.

Do you have some insider tips for someone who's going on this course?
  • Be prepared to study; but
  • Make sure you make the time to explore Alcalá and its surrounds – I found on my last day I was rushing around still trying to do a whole bunch of things I said I would do when I first arrived. A month disappears way too quickly.
  • Avoid the Media Pinta, it’s a gringo pub in the centre of town and heaps of international students go there. Go anywhere else and you will meet locals. And even better, they’ll often shout you a drink and give you the chance to practice your Spanish!
  • The earliest bus bound for Alcalá leaves Madrid (from Avenida de las Americas) at 6 or 630am, which gives you just enough time to shower and to enjoy breakfast with your host family before heading to class after a night out in Madrid.
  • Best places to go for tapas/dancing in Madrid: Lavapiés (especially along Calle Cava Baja), Chueca (anywhere near the main Plaza de Chueca – this is also a fantastic place for shopping), Malasaña (delicious food along Calle de Manuela Malasaña, heaps of watering holes)
  • If you’re keen on checking out the galleries and museums they have free entry after 6pm on some weeknights so check their websites or Lonely Planet (etc) guides to check when it’s free to visit

Tapas!

How has doing this program impacted you?
It has given me even more enthusiasm to travel and to improve my Spanish. Also, by completing an intensive program in another country, my undergraduate degree has extra edge that will hopefully jump out when applying for jobs and postgraduate study programs.

What would you say to somebody who’s thinking of doing this program?
Just do it and make the most of everything! How often do you get the chance to study abroad to explore another country’s language, culture and history and gain credits for it? Plus you get to escape winter!

Muchas gracias, Melissa!

This program runs every year in the July uni holidays. To find out more about this program or to apply, please go to our website: www.aimoverseas.com.au or email us on info@aimoverseas.com.au

Join us on Facebook for more photos, travel tips and updates: www.facebook.com/aimoverseas

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP