12 December 2011

Oxford Literature Program: insider's guide with Nicole Shipley


Nicole went prepared with her own Vegemite!

Nicole Shipley [pictured above]
has recently finished her final semester of a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Newcastle. Earlier this year, she travelled all the way to the University of Oxford to do a our Oxford Literature course. Read on to find out more about Nicole's experiences...

Hi Nicole! Tell me about why you chose t0 d0 AIM Overseas' Oxford Literature course?
I was studying English at university as part of my BA and thought it would be an amazing experience, to be able to broaden my understanding of the language at one of the greatest English universities.

Did you have any fears/concerns before doing the program?
Just generally being alone overseas; away from my family and friends. I was definitely able to overcome this fear, just by making new friends and enjoying the experience.

Tell me about a typical day at Oxford.
Well, I would get up pretty early in the morning (the bells do that to you!), shower before anyone else could, then wander down to the courtyard to wait for breakfast. We’d head to the plenary lecture after breakfast, which ran every week day for the three weeks. Then if I had class, I’d go to class; otherwise I’d wander around the city, exploring, and shopping.

Then we'd have lunch, then an afternoon class if I had one, then I had the afternoon and evening to myself.


The beautiful gardens at Christ Church College


What was the highlight of the program for you?
Just being able to learn about the English language and how it has been used throughout history, from amazing teachers like the ones I had at Exeter was the highlight of the program for me. It really gave me a deeper understanding of literature and English, and being able to study at one of the greatest universities in England was just mind-blowing. It was an experience I’ve recommended to everyone who will listen.


At the Roman baths, in Bath

Do you have any funny travel stories you’d like to share?
When I arrived at Heathrow, I had to get to the domestic terminals, as I was then flying to Newcastle, to meet up with some of my family over there. Of course, I had no idea where to go, and was lugging around three bags – my suitcase, my laptop case, and my handbag, so I was puffed, rushed, and jet-lagged. Not the best first impression on the locals, who, I can imagine, would have been wondering what this crazy, clueless Aussie girl was doing running around the airport!

Do you have some tips for someone who's going on this course?
Pack as lightly as you can, especially if you’re heading to Exeter College! The staircases are tiny, and winding, and not built for heavy suitcases! Otherwise, pack a change of clothes in your carry-on luggage so you get a bit refreshed after each flight (22 hours is too long!). Buy an e-book reader to avoid lugging around multiple books, and don’t forget adaptors for all your electronics.

Most of all, just take every opportunity that is presented to you, because you won’t
regret it.


The London Eye

How has this program impacted you?

I think the program has definitely broadened my understanding of literature, which helped in my final semester of uni. Personally, it’s just made me so much more aware of how big the world is, and how much there is to see and do, and how little Australia is in comparison.

What would you say to somebody who’s thinking of doing the program? Do it! Find the money, make the time, because it will make your life so much better.

Thanks Nicole, this certainly makes me want to hop on a plane to Oxford!


Playing Quidditch! At Christ Church College, where Quidditch was filmed in the Harry Potter movies

This program runs every year in the July uni holidays. To find out more about this program or to apply, please go to our website: www.aimoverseas.com.au or email us on info@aimoverseas.com.au

Join us on Facebook for more photos, travel tips and updates: www.facebook.com/aimoverseas

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP