16 December 2011

Victoria's Hong Kong Adventure - Victoria Shipp tells us about how studying in Hong Kong has opened up her eyes to exciting new opportunities



Victoria Shipp [pictured above, at The Peak in Hong Kong], a Griffith University student currently completing a Bachelor of Asian Business, travelled to the exciting city of Hong Kong earlier this year to participate in our International Trade Finance program. The experience has opened up her eyes to the huge range of careers opportunities available to her, helped her make up her mind that she was doing the right degree and has inspired her to explore more of Asia. Read more...

Hi Victoria! Where are you currently studying?
I am studying a Bachelor of Asian Business at Griffith University.

Why did you choose our International Trade Finance program?
While I may not be studying banking or finance or economics at university, I chose AIM Overseas' International Trade Finance Program because it taught me all about the Asian finance system from their perspective and not a Western perspective. As a student hoping to live and work in Hong Kong for either an Australian company or a Chinese company, I felt this was vital to my learning.

Did you have any fears or concerns before doing the program?
I had a load of fears. As this was the first time that the course was being offered, I had no-one to ask about their experience and what it was like living in Hong Kong for a month. My biggest fear was not being able to communicate with the locals and not fitting in well with the other university students also joining me. My fear of not being able to communicate with the locals was overcome once I spoke to Jooliet about how well the locals speak English. As for the fitting in part, I didn’t really overcome that until I met the other university students.


Victoria and friends posing in the hotel lobby in Hong Kong, about to head off to the races

Tell me about a typical day at Hong Kong PolyU
A typical day at PolyU involved a lecture from 9am to 12pm. The lectures were taken by two different lecturers who had the most amazing knowledge of the Asian Finance sector so I knew that we were in good hands. They were great teachers who used real life examples in their lectures to help get the lesson across.

At 12pm we broke for lunch until 2.30pm where we would head back to the university for a field trip. Field trips included trips to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, the Hong Kong Monetary Fund (Hong Kong’s version of the Reserve Bank of Australia), Bloomberg and Austrade.

At 4.30pm, we were given the option of being taken back to the hotel or staying in the city to do some shopping. Nine times out of ten we stayed and went shopping of exploring until late at night. Bedtime usually came around 11pm each night as there was always so much to do and see!

Fridays were our days off where we took part in full day tours of Hong Kong. The full day tours were amazing and the tour guides were so friendly and down to earth. Lunch on the full day tours consisted of a traditional dim sum lunch and was always highly anticipated. The food in Hong Kong is AMAZING!

What was the highlight of the program for you?
The highlight of the program for me was going to Bloomberg and Austrade. As someone who wishes to work for Austrade once I graduate, it was great to meet a fellow Australian who was achieving her dream of working around the world. She was such an inspiration!

Another highlight would definitely be the trip over to Macau some of us did. I along with four friends went bungy jumping off Macau tower, which happens to be the world’s highest bungy jump at 233 meters! It was the most amazing experience of my life and showed me what I was capable of achieving anything (I gave my Grandma a mini-heart-attack when she saw the video but my Dad is STILL watching it!).


Victoria and fellow AIM Overseas participants at the world's highest bungy jump at Macau Tower, Macau


3... 2... 1... JUMP!

Do you have any interesting facts about Hong Kong culture or Hong Kong people?
The nightlife in Hong Kong is off the hook! We attended beer festivals, and multiple bars from all around the world. There is a wicked nightlife every single night of the week and no matter what night you go out drinking, there are always locals eager to serve you and make you feel completely at home.

The locals are the friendliest and down to earth people I have ever met. They are always willing to drop everything to help an Aussie out when we got lost (which was often!). They will also do anything to make a sale. The markets hidden in alleyways are the best places to get the best deals on everything from shoes, to handbags, to watches. You can find a bargain everywhere in Hong Kong! As for ‘lost in translation’ moments, nearly everyone in Hong Kong speaks great English so I found it really easy to communicate when I was by myself and asking for directions or bargaining for a deal.

Do you have some tips for someone who's going on this course?
Some tips for someone who wishes to do this course would be to attend every lecture (you will learn invaluable information and they aren’t recorded like they are in many Australian universities) and definitely attend the field trips. By attending the field trips, you meet people in the field you are studying and you never know, you could be working for them one day!

The best nightlife I experienced was in Lan Kwai Fong or Wan Chai. Lan Kwai Fong has bars from all around the world and the people there are so friendly are welcoming. We even attended a beer festival in Lan Kwai Fong one night!

Pack a lot of cool clothes as the weather over in Hong Kong in July is hot, sticky and VERY muggy! I lived in shorts and singlets every day as it was too hot to wear anything else. Also, pack an umbrella as it is the rainy season in Hong Kong in July. It rained for one, maybe two weeks while I was there and the umbrella became a lifesaver many times.

And remember, whenever in doubt, just ask Jooliet as she is from Hong Kong and can help you with any questions you may have (and trust me, you’ll have loads and Jooliet is always more than happy to answer them).

How has this program impacted you?
Professionally, this program was a dream come true. It helped me make up my mind that I was definitely happy doing the degree I was doing. It also steered me in the right direction while showing me what jobs were available to me once I completed my degree. Before I left for the program, I couldn’t answer families and friends questions when asking me the type of company I would work for once I completed university. I came back from the program telling family and friends that I was hoping to work for Austrade once I finished university. The International Trade Finance Program opened my eyes to the huge range of jobs that were actually available to me.

This program impacted me on a personal level because it helped me grow up and make decisions about the future. I learnt to stand on my own two feet and make my own decisions. I was bitten by the travelling bug after returning from Hong Kong and now can’t wait to explore Asia more!

What would you say to somebody who’s thinking of doing the program?
To anyone thinking of doing this program, go for it. You will have the experience of a lifetime and make life-long friends. What you learn is invaluable, the people you meet are incredible and the memories you make while participating in the program will stay with you forever. You will not be sorry by choosing to participate in this once in a lifetime experience.


Taken at the Jumbo Floating Restaurant, a must-see tourist attraction in Hong Kong that has been visited by Queen Elizabeth II, John Wayne, Tom Cruise and now the participants of AIM Overseas' 2011 International Trade Finance Program! :D

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us, Victoria! We hope you get to visit Asia again some time soon!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP