03 January 2012

The Adventure Begins - International Law and Human Rights Blog with Lauren Howes



The Adventure Begins – Brno, Czech Republic here I come (with winter woollies dragging behind me)!

Christmas has been and gone and my trip is fast approaching! Amongst the craziness of the holiday season, time has definitely sped up and I am finding it very difficult to believe that I will be on a plane heading to Brno in just two weeks' time.

Whilst summer has been a little slow in coming in Sydney, I am still trying to prepare for the big temperature difference between Australia and the Czech Republic. Its currently snowing and one degree in our host city! For someone who doesn’t like the cold very much, this is going to be a big adjustment.




Obviously, the only way to solve any issue is to go shopping, and heading overseas and dealing with the cold is no different! Several hours of research, a few in-depth excursions and an aching credit card and I’m done! New wet-weather hiking boots, waterproof down jacket, thermals, wool socks and some gloves and I think I’m ready!



I am absolutely passionate about Human Rights law. Getting to go overseas, to a beautiful country like the Czech Republic, to study this field is an absolute dream come true. While I’m nervous about leaving my husband at home (and the state my house will be in when I return!) I am excited about the possibilities. I am really looking forward to experiencing a different culture and getting to live with other students from Masaryk University. I love food and can’t wait to try out all the different dishes on offer!

While all of this is very exciting, there is still packing to be done, last minute arrangements to be made and a few more days of work to attend. Most importantly, there is a very daunting 25 hour flight ahead of me! (Can you tell I am absolutely thrilled about that?!?!?!)

The adventure begins! See you in a few weeks...



Lauren Howes is participating in our January 2012 International Law and Human Rights program at Masaryk University, Czech Republic. Lauren is about to start her 5th year of a
Bachelor of Laws/Medical Science degree at the University of Wollongong.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP