13 January 2012

Learning From Traveling - International Relations and Politics in the EU Blog by Jingjing Zhang



I am doing International Relations and Politics at Maastricht University, the Netherlands. The course is focused on the history, structure and politics in the European Union.

I came to Europe on 17th December, 2011, twenty days before the class. I was traveling in the twenty days and have been to Berlin, Koln, Milan, Venice, Rome, Geneva, Paris, Madrid, Toledo,Valencia, Barcelona and Eindhoven all by myself. I feel excited as this is my first time to Europe and this was the longest solo travel I had done so far. This trip is a preparation for my study, which not only let me get to used to the weather in Europe, but get to know different people and cultures.

Berlin is an important city for temporary international relationship after World War Two. I felt shocked when I visited the Berlin Wall Museum. Back during the Cold War, relatives and friends were separated by man-made barriers. Many young students and parents wanted to escape from one side of the Berlin Wall and reunite with their family on the other side, but unfortunately some of them were shot. The youngest victim was a three-month-old boy. The memory of war is just one part of Berlin. As same as other cities in Europe, Berlin has been rebuilt on the ruins.

Rome is the origin of Western Europe culture and the center during the Renaissance. Walking in the city, I was always surprised when a palace or a fountain suddenly appeared around the next corner.

I was in Paris on New Year Eve. I will never forget that thousands of people squeezed in the Champs-Elysees, waiting for the new year countdown at night. Standing besides were six thousand armed policemen.

Spain is warmer than other places in Europe at the moment. Valencia is in its spring and I love the orange juice! One hour drive to the south of Madrid is Toledo, a city with Crusades castle on the top of the mountain. Christian, Jewish and Muslim cultures coexisted here.

Europe has a long history. The establishment of European Union will definitely be part of it. Will be really interesting to know how European contries came up with this idea to prevent war, to preserve its cultures and promote the economic development.

Jingjing Zhang is participating in our January 2012 International Relations and Politics in the EU program at Maastricht University, the Netherlands. Jingjing is about to enter into her 4th year of a Bachelor of Arts degree at Edith Cowan University.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP