03 January 2012

Hola Amigos! - Intensive Spanish Blog with Rebecca Honey



Hola Amigos!

It’s hard to believe that in just over 2 weeks I’ll be arriving in Mexico City! I’ve been waiting for this adventure all year, and I’m sure my fellow participants are equally excited! It’s always been a dream of mine to study a language. What better language than Spanish! Not only is one of the most beautiful languages in the world, its also one of the most widely spoken.

As usual I’m being quite last minute with my packing and preparations! I’m making up a to-do list of everything I need to do before I leave, chances are most of it will be ticked off on the 3rd January. I leave on the 4th with my friend Brooke, who is also doing the program. We will be spending 4 nights in Los Angeles before traveling to Mexico.

I have been preparing myself over the last few months by taking a beginner’s Spanish course at my local community college and attempting to study in my own time around full-time uni and work. I’m not sure I was too successful with this as my brain could not retain all that extra information and learning another language doesn’t come naturally for me. I’ve also been dragging my fiancé to latin and salsa dancing classes and even had a Mexican themed birthday party.

I don’t expect at my beginner level to walk away speaking very fluent Spanish. What I would most like to gain from this program to absorb the culture and I’m most looking forward to meeting my host family and doing life the Mexican way. I’ve done a fair amount of traveling and the best experiences have always been just hanging with the locals. I love learning about their culture, customs, what makes them tick and resorting to charades in attempts to communicate. I’m hoping by the end of this trip that I might be able to communicate using a few words as well!

¡Feliz Navidad y Próspero año nuevo!
.....and to my fellow participants..see you in Mexico!



Rebecca Honey is participating in our January 2012 Intensive Spanish program at La Salle University, Mexico. Rebecca is about to enter into her 4th year of a Bachelor of Social Work degree at the University of Newcastle. Rebecca likes to travel whenever she has the opportunity and also enjoys writing and playing music. This is the first time Rebecca has ever posted in a blog.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP